Thumper's Thoughts for April
April is National Stress Awareness Month. When you humans think of ways to reduce stress what usually comes to mind are things like yoga, meditation and massage. I’d like to discuss the stress busting benefits of your favorite furry companion……the dog.
Now I know what you are thinking……chasing the skunk through the backyard, raiding the kitchen garbage can, and rolling around in the dirt right after a bath did not do much to help your stress level, but hear me out. Here are a few of my favorite ways that a dog can help reduce stress.
- We encourage you to get out and exercise. You know how much we love to go for walks! Regular exercise is good for stress management and overall health.
- We can help lower blood pressure. Really, it’s true. (Let’s not revisit the skunk incident here.) Recent research studies support this.
- We can improve your mood. How can you stay in a bad mood when we look at you with our adoring eyes.
- We help with social networking. Ever notice how when you are out with your dog people stop to chat and admire your four-legged friend. We’re magnets, people! What a great way to make new and interesting friends.
- We provide unconditional love and companionship. We are great listeners and will forever keep your secrets.
So, in honor of Stress Awareness Month get out and spend some quality time with your furry friend. Until next time……
Return to The Growlin' Gourmet Home page from Thumper's Thoughts