Thumper's Thoughts for May
Happy spring everyone! The trees and flowers are blooming, the days are getting longer, and there are lots of critters for me to stalk out and about in the yard.
With spring comes the return of the local farmer’s market. Now why you ask would a dog care about the farmer’s market? My parents sell their scrumptious organic dog biscuits at the local markets. For me this means an opportunity to meet and greet all our wonderful customers every week and thank them personally for coming out and supporting their local farmers and crafters.
There are many good reasons to buy local. I’d like to mention just a few.
- Local food is fresher and tastes better. Local farmers can offer produce varieties you might not find in the grocery stores. These varieties are bred for taste and freshness.
- You'll strengthen your local economy. Buying local food keeps your dollars circulating in your community.
- You'll support endangered family farms. Buying local produce and products ensures that more of your money spent on food goes to the farmer.
- You'll safeguard your family's health. Knowing where your food comes from and how it is grown or raised enables you to choose safe food from farmers who avoid or reduce their use of chemicals, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics.
- You'll protect the environment. Local food doesn't have to travel far. This reduces carbon dioxide emissions and packing materials.
Please come see me at the Saco Farmer’s Market on Saturdays from 7am to noon. Beginning in June you will also find me at the Scarborough Farmer’s Market every Sunday. I look forward to meeting you!